Did you know that you can "fly through time" on a zipline in Spain? Or that the Spanish national anthem has no words? No? Read on for more...
- 1. Although many foreigners see paella as the Spanish national dish, many Spaniards don’t. Most locals see the rice dish as a Valencian dish, not a national one.
- 2. There’s no tooth fairy in Spain, instead when Spanish children lose a tooth they put it under their pillow for a magical mouse called Ratoncito Pérez.
- 3. The national anthem of Spain has no words.
- 4. Spaniards celebrate the New Year by eating one grape for each bell strike of the clock.
- 5. Spain has more than 8,000 beaches.
- 6. La Tomatina is a festival that is held in the Valencian town of Buñol in which participants throw tomatoes and get involved in a tomato fight.
- 7. A zipline connects Spain and Portugal. Crossing over the River Guadiana from Spain to Portugal and traveling at speeds between 70‑80 kilometres per hour. Literally "flying through time" and gaining one hour because of the time zone change between both countries.
- 8. You might think that Greece or Italy produce most of the world’s olive oil, but in actual fact, it’s Spain.