Disclaimer: Fleetway cannot be held responsible for weight gain or tooth cavities as a result of this blog.
After meandering down terracotta lanes, marvelling at masterpieces in museums and galleries, and teasing your taste buds with spaghetti and red wine, you’ll have earnt a generous scoop of gelato for sure. As Italy is the home of gelato, it would be rude not to indulge yourself in this satisfying delicacy.
We’re here to help you in your search for the best gelato: the creamiest coffee flavour, perfect pistachio, and scrumptious strawberry. Don’t be enticed by the mountains of colourful cream – these gelatos will likely be pumped with chemicals or frozen solid to stand tall. The good stuff is less showy and more modest; the girl next door of ice cream. Though perhaps less inspiring to look at, the gelato hidden away in round metal tins is generally the real deal. For the freshest, richest and most authentic sweet treat, keep on the lookout for these silver treasure troves.
To save you feeling overwhelmed by the abundance of the creamy cones, here are our top 7 gelateria recommendations to hunt down on your travels:
1) Grom – Found in the following Italian towns and cities: Alessandria, Aosta, Asti, Bergamo, Bologna, Brescia, Chioggia, Como, Cremona, Cuneo, Ferrara, Florence, Genoa, Lecco, Lucca, Mestre, Milan, Modena, Novara, Padova, Parma, Perugia, Rome, Sanremo, Siena, Torino, Trento, Treviso, Trieste, Udine, Varese, Venice, Vercelli, Verona, Viareggio.
Wherever you are in Italy, you have no excuse not to make a visit to this gem!
2) Carapina – Discovered in Florence & Rome
A start-up founded in Florence in 2008, Carapina is well worth a visit!
3) Gelato San Lorenzo – Currently unique to Rome
Passionate about natural and high quality ingredients, this gelateria is high on our list!
4) Officina Gelato – Exclusive to Naples
With over 40 years of experience in the industry, they sure know what they’re doing!
5) Flor Gelato Italiano – Located in Rome
Flor Gelato has premises in three continents so far!
6) Gelateria Vivoli – Found in Florence
With a bakery on site too, for cakes and cookies plus gluten free options, there is something for everyone here!
7) Cremeria Funivia – Based in Bologna
This gelateria has two bases in Bologna, and offers stunning gelato cakes too!
Although just a short and sweet selection, we hope this guide sets your holiday up to be delicious. Many, many more gelaterias will tempt you with their yummy offerings, so sample as many as you can and let us know your favourite!